Are you looking for that moist, tender, packed-with-banana-flavor banana bread recipe that is easy to make AND healthy!?! This is THE healthy banana bread recipe you need….plus its topping with a crunchy streusel topping taking the flavor to the next level.
When my kids come home from school or activities and I have made homemade bread, then instantly realize what a great mom I am……wink, wink. I really do feel good when I make healthy, delicious food for my kids though. And there is nothing else like the smell of sweet banana bread baking in the oven. This Healthy Banana Bread with Streusel topping is much lower in sugar that other recipes and includes whole grains but doesn’t suffer on texture or flavor! It is a delicious recipe that is perfect for a snack or even breakfast the day after I’ve made it. It just keeps getting more moist, flavorful and yummy.
Ingredients Needed for Healthy Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Flour: gives you all the whole grain goodness, a richer flavor and texture and lots more nutrition than traditional white flour.
- Bananas: use up those brown bananas! The more brown, the sweeter and softer they will be which is perfect for this recipe.
- Coconut Oil: an unrefined oil that gives the perfect amount of moisture and a hint of delicious coconut flavor.
- Brown Sugar: deeper and more carmel-y than white sugar which is perfect for banana bread.
- Greek Yogurt: adds moisture, protein and reduces the amount of oil needed.
- Flour. If you don’t have whole wheat flour or don’t like it in baked goods, try white whole wheat. It bakes just like all-purpose flour, but has the nutrition of whole wheat.
- Oil. You can use melted butter instead of coconut oil, as well as any other vegetable oil.
- Nuts. Want to make banana nut bread? Just add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts to the batter before you pour it into your pan.
- Yogurt. You can use sour cream instead of the yogurt to make sour cream banana bread which is also moist, tender and amazing.
- Add-ins. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips for chocolate chip banana bread! Add 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries for blueberry banana bread. The possibilities are endless!
How to Make Moist Healthy Banana Bread
This banana bread is simple to make and much like any other quick bread. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl, combine wet in another, and then mix them together. So easy!!
- Combine first five dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash bananas. If you like banana pieces in your bread, don’t mash them as fine. If not, mash really well. You can use a fork, potato masher or a meat chopper to get them mashed.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and add bananas.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir just until combined.
- Spray or grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and pour mixture into it.
- Mix streusel ingredients together. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter for a yummy crunchy topping.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
What are the health benefits of bananas?
We love banana bread because it is delicious, but we also love all of the health benefits of the bananas that are in it.
Bananas are a big part of many kids diet. They are soft enough to serve at a young age. The flavor is mild enough that most kids like the flavor. And they are versatile enough that you can eat them in so many different ways. We like to use bananas for bread, but we also like to eat them frozen with chocolate, just frozen banana pops, in smoothies or a breakfast with toppings like this banana split!
- Good source of potassium! They can literally lower blood pressure (high blood pressure is becoming more common in CHILDREN today.
- Do your kids get heartburn? Bananas are a natural antacid!
- High in B vitamins (improves nerve function)
- Good source of fiber. So many kids have bowel trouble, fiber is a great way to relieve that.
FAQ’s about Making Healthy Banana Bread
- Can I make this recipe into muffins? Yep! Just pour the batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the tops bounce back.
- How many cups of mashed banana do 3 medium bananas make? 3 medium bananas will make about 1 cup of mashed banana.
- What makes banana bread healthy? This banana bread recipe includes whole wheat flour which is high in B vitamins and fiber. It also has Greek yogurt with has calcium and protein. And also bananas!
More of My Favorite Banana Recipes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tabelspoons butter softened
- 1/4 cup dried banana chips chopped
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
Mash bananas. If you like pieces in your bread, don’t mash them as fine. If not, mash well.
Combine brown sugar, coconut oil, yogurt, vanilla and mashed bananas in a separate bowl. Whisk until smooth.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir just until combined.
Spray or grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and pour mixture into it.
Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over the top.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Add the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix until combined. Cut in the butter using a fork or a pastry blender, until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped banana chips. Sprinkle evenly on batter.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 185mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1mg
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.