04 Jan Shame Proof Parenting with Mercedes Samudio, LCSW
For those who have sweat through your child having a full on meltdown in the middle of Target. For those who have felt judged by others or responsible for your child’s behavior. For those who have felt shame as a parent, this podcast episode is for you.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with licensed psychotherapist, parent coach, speaker, and bestselling author, Mercedes Samudio. Mercedes started the #EndParentShaming movement as well as coined the term Shame-Proof Parenting – using both to bring awareness to ending parent shame. Mercedes shares how shame has infiltrated parenthood and offers strategies that encourage healthy parent- child relationship building. She also talks about what happens if we only focus on resolving the surface behaviors but don’t look deeper at the child’s emotional or mental state.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Mercedes and what inspired her to write Shame Proof Parenting.
- Some of the impactful stories that influenced Mercedes’s approach in Shame Proof Parenting.
- How shame infiltrated parenthood .
- The three aspects of shame explained.
- How to not feel responsible for your child’s behavior.
- How we as parents re-create shame in our children.
- The affects of labeling – both good and bad labeling.
- Ways parents can learn to trust their own intuition and build a relationship recognizing their intuition.
- The importance of distinguishing between needs, wants, desires and expectations in the shame proof parenting paradigm.
- What happens if we only focuses on resolving the surface behaviors but don’t look deeper at the child’s emotional or mental state.
- Tools parents can start to think about creating their own “parenting manual”.
- Strategies that encourage healthy parent- child relationship building.
- One final tip/piece of advice Mercedes offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Mercede’s work!
Support Our Sponsors:
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit! Go to HelloFresh.com/ybb14 and use code ybb14 for up to 14 free meals AND 3 free gifts!
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service at www.getboober.com
- Green Chef The #1 Meal Kit for Eating Well Go to GreenChef.com/ybb10 and use code ybb10 to get 10 Free Meals including free shipping!
About Mercedes Samudio, LCSW:
Mercedes Samudio, LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist, parent coach, speaker, and bestselling author who helps families develop healthy parent-child relationships. Mercedes is an adjunct professor where she teaches psychology, diagnosis of mental illness, and multicultural counseling. She is an accomplished speaker who trains on topics such as her Parental Identity Development Model ™, multicultural counseling, and developing a clinical identity. Mercedes started the #EndParentShaming movement as well as coined the term Shame-Proof Parenting – using both to bring awareness to ending parent shame. You can read more about her parenting expertise at http://shameproofparenting.com.
Connect with Mercedes:
Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center