Homemade Lemonade Recipe – Love and Lemons
This homemade lemonade recipe is just the thing for a hot summer day. Made with 3 simple ingredients, it’s sweet, refreshing, and deliciously tart.
We’re way overdue for a homemade lemonade recipe on Love & Lemons, don’t ya think? I can’t tell you how it happened that I never thought to post one until now, but I can tell you that this recipe was 100% worth the wait. The freshly squeezed lemonade is easy to make with just 3 ingredients, and it’s sweet, refreshing, and deliciously tart. Served over ice, it’s everything I crave on a hot summer day.
This lemonade recipe makes a big batch, so it’d be a great refreshment for your next cookout or BBQ. However, you can easily scale it down if you’re serving a smaller group. Garnish glasses with basil or mint leaves for an aromatic, summery twist, or keep things classic and top each one with a fresh lemon slice. Enjoy!
Homemade Lemonade Recipe Ingredients
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this homemade lemonade recipe:
- Fresh lemons, of course! When you’re making homemade lemonade, fresh-squeezed lemon juice is a must. Skip the bottled lemon juice, please!
- Simple syrup – For sweetness. Make a traditional simple syrup with equal parts granulated sugar and water, or infuse it with fresh basil or mint for an unexpected twist.
- Cold water – It dilutes the lemon juice and simple syrup, balancing the tart and sweet flavors.
- And ice – For a cold, refreshing drink.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Lemonade
My method for how to make lemonade is super simple!
- First, you’ll make the simple syrup. Try the basil variation for a more complex infused lemonade.
- Next, juice the lemons. Halve and squeeze lemons until you have 3 cups of lemon juice, or less if you’re making a scaled-down batch. Tip: a good juicer will serve you well here!
- Then, stir it all together. Pour the simple syrup, lemon juice, and water into a pitcher and stir in a couple handfuls of ice.
- Finally, taste and adjust. The best part of making homemade lemonade is that you get to adjust the balance of flavors to your liking! If you prefer a sweeter drink, add more simple syrup. If you like yours nice and tart, add more lemon.
Pour into glasses filled with ice and top with your desired garnishes. We like lemon wheels and/or sprigs of fresh basil.
Enjoy the lemonade on its own, or serve it as part of a summer meal with classic cookout fare like veggie burgers, pasta salad, fruit salad, and corn on the cob.
More Favorite Summer Drinks
If you love this fresh lemonade recipe, try one of these summer drinks next:
Serves 8 to 10
Made with freshly squeezed lemon juice, this homemade lemonade recipe is SO refreshing on hot summer days! Feel free to scale it up or down as needed depending on how many people you’re serving.
- 1 cup simple syrup, plus more to taste
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wheels, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish, optional
Make the simple syrup according to this recipe. For classic lemonade, make the plain simple syrup. We also love the basil simple syrup in this recipe.
In a large pitcher, place the water, lemon juice, simple syrup, and ice. Stir to combine. Taste and add more simple syrup if desired.
Pour into glasses filled with ice and garnish with lemon wheels and fresh basil, if desired.